Our feet are the workhorses of our bodies,buh we give them so little respect.
It's easy to take our feet for granted. They're are just there,putting up with a host of challenges,from being jammed into high heels and elevated to unnatural heights to smothering inside sweaty socks or tight nylon pantyhose. While suffering those indignities,our feet takes hundreds of tons of force impact just during an average of walking.
That pounding explains why feet are the body parts most likely to get injured.
You don't need an expensive spa treatment to take care of your feet.
Spending just a few minutes a day on foot care and choosing the right shoes can keep you free of problems that may lead to pain and even disability. These ideas can help your feet feel great.
● make a point to wash your feet(and between your toes!)with a wash cloth and a footbrush carefully and regularly. Yes that means bending over in the shower to soap them up;if you can't balance safely,use a long handled shower brush or sit on a chair outside the tub as you wash your feet under the faucets. Be sure to dry feet completely,including the toes. This ash and dry system lessens problems such as athlete's foot,odour,bacteria and fungus
● if you like to soak your feet,forget about the salts- they're too drying and don't offer any medical benefit instead,just use warm(never hot) water and a little liquid soap,such as dishwashing solutions containing skin softeners.
● moisturize your feet after washing during dry skin winter months.you may want to moisturize several times a day. Nothing fancy is needed basic lotions and creams are fine.
● alternate the shoes you wear each day. Yhat may mean having two pairs of your favourite everyday style,but shoes need time to air out to avoid triggering foot odour or infections.change stockings more than once a day. If you have a problem witb smelly feet,soak them in a mixture of vinegar and water.
● your feet should not hurt ever. Shoes can worsen bunions,distort toe shape and cause painful foot growths. If you wear high heels,choose heels that are wide,stable and no higher than two inches.
Toe boxes should be wide,pointed toes should not begin their narrowing shape untill well past the ball of the foot. To protect your achilles tendon from shortening,alternate heel heights regularly.
● flip-flops and completely flat shoes dont procide arch support. Neither does walking barefoot. Women are especially prone to developing flat feet,which can lead to other foot problems. To keep feet strong and healthy minimize the amount of time you wear shoes that lack supportive arches.
●pregnancy,aging and diabetes all affect your feet. Pregnant women need shoes with broad heels,arch support and good shock absorbency. Added pregnancy weight may cause your shoe size to change,so get your feet measured. Older women loose some of the cushioning flat on the balls of their feet. Choose shoes that provide more shock protection.
● be cautious about having a pedicure in a salon,where cleanliness of tubes and instruments is vital.
Culled from.. healthywomen.org